Fort Wayne Battery Defense Lawyer
What Are the Punishments for Battery?
Penalties for battery can vary widely depending on the specific type of battery, level of injury caused, and other circumstances surrounding the offense itself:
- Simple battery offenses is classified as Class A or B misdemeanors, punishable by a jail term from 180 days to 1 year in jail with fines reaching $1,000 to $5,000.
- The level of severity, and classification of felony, increases significantly depending on a variety of factors including the extent of harm inflicted, and on whom the harm is inflicted. Offenders can serve as little as 180 days in jail, and as much as 50 years in prison in cases where the victim has died.
There are several types of battery offenses:
- Simple battery - is the least serious and generally occurs when someone touches another in a rude, insolent or angry manner.
- Sexual Battery - similar to simple battery, this occurs with inappropriate sexual touching.
- Family-Violence Battery - is limited to the crimes that take place between family members or those involved in domestic relationships.
- Aggravated Battery - occurs when the injury inflicted results in a permanent disfigurement such as scarring, burns or lost limbs and appendages; typically classified as a felony.
Gregory A. Miller Battery Legal Counsel
Battery is one of many violent crimes that occur when a person knowingly or intentionally touches another person in a rude, insolent, or angry manner. This type of crime occurs often on a minor level. Since no bruising or other visual indicators of abuse are required, the offense need only cause harm to the victim in some way.
If you have been charged with battery, it is important that you speak with Fort Wayne criminal defense attorney Gregory A. Miller as soon as possible in order to begin assembling a solid case in your defense. Any accusation of battery should be defended vigorously. I, Attorney Gregory A. Miller, am available to discuss your case, and am committed to providing you with high quality legal representation.
22+ Years of Legal Experience
More Than 2,500 Cases Handled
AVVO 10.0 Rating
Committed to Achieving the Best Possible Outcome
Member of National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
Personalized Dedication to Each Client